Monday, February 19, 2007

SJC

Sunday afternoon was spent with friends Cory and Laurie (that rhymes!) in San Juan Capistrano. Laurie is a super-cool, newer friend of mine, and it was her first time meeting my fairly-cool, older friend Cory. Ha- just kidding, Cory.

We hung out in downtown Capistrano, checking out some shops and the Los Rios Historic District. Following some Mexican grub at El Campeon and a chat at Starbucks, we went to the Coach House to see Laurie's friend Peter Brandon perform. While not exactly my kind of music (modern country), the guy and his band are very talented and it was a good show.

It was a nice way to spend a Sunday.





































Side note: We would have gone to Diedrich Coffee in Capistrano, but discovered it was closed for renovation as it becomes another Starbucks. I knew Starbucks had recently purchased Diedrich, but I've just learned that nearly all Diedrich locations are being converted into Starbucks. It's a shame, since Diedrich has been an Orange County fixture for over 20 years. I'm not necessarily anti-Starbucks, but I'd rather give my business to an independent shop or local company, and I frequented the Diedrich in the Orange Plaza. I admit to spending more time of late at the Gypsy Den in Santa Ana (which is why I only just realized that the Orange Plaza Diedrich is indeed closed), but I will still miss my local Diedrich.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your "SJC" post was one of "good news, bad news." The good news of course was it looks like you had a great day in SJC the bad news is the closing of all the Deidrich coffee shops. Like you, I hate to see the small businesses close down by being taken over by the big chains. But you have to give Starbucks its kudos. It has to be one of the most successful ventures in recent history. When I think of all the gone and almost forgot dept. stores and market chains it actually makes me very sad. Just to name a few - Broadway, May Co., Robinsons, what ever happened to Builders Emporium, Oles, Gemco, Market Basket and all the others I can't think of right now? Well, we are in the world of WalMarts, Starbucks, Home Depot and Macy's. Besides all that your photos are fun again. Where is that old barn and was the ostrich (or emu?) at that little animal farm on the historical street?

The Gupsy Den restaurant looks very interesting. Lets go there some time OK?

Great blog.

coryandfarah said...

Thanks for convincing me to go out with you guys on Sunday. As one of your older, fairly-cool friends, it was great to meet your new friend, Laurie! ;) She's a cool chick, loads of fun for sure. We all have to hang out again soon but next time with Farah. Maybe you guys can come over for some Eric-friendly Chinese cooking... Hasta!

ell.el.p said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ell.el.p said...

hey cool!!! This WAS a fun day!! I really liked San Juan...t'was absolutely fabulous!! Eric-friendly chinese food?? Actually...Eric...weren't you telling me just the other day how badly you wanted to try the duck blood soup? It was making your mouth water just talking about it... haha ;) Ok, Ok...but really!! That would be great! Thanks for inviting me to the super-cool and ultra exclusive Club Mi Nido...so glad to be a member...hhe!!

coryandfarah said...

Is Laurie a part of this madness too?